Phone for the blind

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 22:48:45 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 02:48 +0530, Warren Noronha wrote:

> Is there a text to speech feature planned.

festival (flite) is in openembedded, thus most likely it will be
available in openmoko very soon, too. The same goes for sphinx (speech
to text).

> I ask this cause a while back a friend of mine
> who works with the blind, was looking out for phone to for his
> students (who are blind)

SUN has been doing lots of a11y (accessibility) work on GNOME. Imho the
a11y group sits in Ireland. I'm sure they'd like to see the fruits of
their work on a phone as well.

As Terrence Barr from SUN is hanging out on the list, maybe he could
make a contact? I think a fully accessible phone would just be an awsome
proof of the strength of open source!

If you need some names from the a11y SUN people, just ping me.

Marcus