Idea for one of the next Neos: Projecting the display via LEDs

Wil Chung iamwil at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 18:46:01 CET 2007

I think you need to also put it on the wiki of Ideas.  :)

http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/OpenMokoIdeas

Perhaps we need to separate between ideas for future hardware, and ideas for
software?

As for the idea, I think it has merit, although I'm not sure how good the
picture quality would be.  And certainly, you can't much use it while you're
moving.  Perhaps it would work better as an attachment on the future Neo.

As for the technical feasibility, I'm guessing that you were thinking about
it as an overlay of 3 RGB pictures overlayed on top of each other.  Since an
LED is considered one point of light, rather than an image source, you'd
need to somehow be able to direct that light in a scanline (like TVs), or be
able to somehow encode spatial variations into a single LED with a screen
that sums light from previous pulse of light from that LED.  That wouldn't
be ideal, since you'd like to project it anywhere, and not on a special
screen.  How do IR projected keyboards work?  Do they direct a beam?

Dr. H., I agree that it needs a beam scanner, on first though, but does it
have to be mechanical?  I know you can direct radio waves with something
like a phase array, might not light be directed with a phase array?  I don't
know, as it's just a guess since they're both E&M.

Wilhelm

annolog: http://outandabout.fillthepages.com/
create your own annolog:  http://www.annologger.com
tech blog: http://webjazz.blogspot.com