When Good Agendas Turn Bad - Linux/GNU, etc

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jan 25 00:17:05 CET 2007

On 24/01/07, Richard Franks <richard.franks at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:

> If we were to lose the FSF perspective at any stage down the road, then
> we could end up only able to buy highly sophisticated yet crippled
> devices which actively impose upon our Freedoms. Like now, but worse.
>
> In that sense, I imagine the Neo1973 as a platform which furthers the
> aims of the FSF through its success.. and retains its integrity through
> that symbiotic relationship.

Calling the operating system "GNU/Linux" says a lot about the values
of a company in relation to the FSF.

The presence of a proprietary userland binary in the main/official
distribution makes it a crippled device which actively impose upon our
Freedoms.

This may be okay if it can be simply removed without effecting the
rest of the system, "ipkg remove proprietary-agpsd"-style, especially
if the software is for a subscription service that many users will not
use anyway.

--
Regards,
Dave