h.264 format is now open?

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Sat Jan 27 18:33:14 CET 2007

la, 2007-01-27 kello 11:05 -0600, el jefe delito kirjoitti:
> It looks like the MP4 (or M4V) video format is now no longer covered
> by patents, if I am readig this correctly (and if the article is
> accurate.)

Well, at least probably not that particular patent (set?). And it's
spesifically h.264 by the way.

> Due to it being a high-resolution phone, and assuming that we'll watch
> video on it anyway, there should be efforts towards implementing
> this!

This is not probably called for at this point, Neo1973 pretty certainly
does _not_ have enough horsepower to play back h.264. (I'm hoping to
play _some_ kind of video back on the device myself, but experimenting
if that'll be feasible for any kind of non-horrible quality will have to
wait till release, unless somebody in the inner circle does some test on
their *cough* copious spare time. ;)

Anyway, ffmpeg has a h.264 decoder and the x264 project can encode it,
so the copyright-wise free code is out there already, for the future.

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>