Brainstorm: less functionality per device, more devices

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Tue Jul 3 20:46:10 CEST 2007

Okay... this topic has been  discussed to death, here and elsewhere.
Let me recap by saying:

a. A constellation of cooperating devices is bad because you have to
make each device smart enough to talk to each other device, and know
what it's supposed to do. And as Fabien points out, testing is a
concern.

b. The constellation approach is good because it allows the end user
to use a "best of breed" approach for components that are important
to them.

But being a bit of a business geek on the weekends, there are also
economic / product strategy reasons why the constellation is
problematic.

1. The cost of a constellation that does (GSM + Nice Display +
Camera) will likely be more than an integrated device that does the
same thing. Why? because each of the three constellation devices will
need separated batteries, bluetooth transceivers and enclosures. The
integrated device will need only 1 case, 1 BT transceiver and 1 battery.

2. From a product strategy perspective, the "best of breed" approach
of the constellation requires device manufacturers to open up an
interface to their device to third party products. In fact, the
constellation works best when there's a high-function, well defined
interface between your module and third party modules. But this is a
hard sell to product managers who would fear the product becoming a
commodity. In other words, if you create a mobile "GSM <-> Bluetooth
gateway," you've got to create an interface to control it so your PDA
with it's big screen can cause it to dial the phone. But once this
interface starts to solidify, what's to prevent someone else from
building a GSM to Blooteuth gateway and selling it for 10% less?

3. The product lifetime of the individual components will be longer.
Handset manufacturers are currently rewarded for planned
obsolescence. They book revenue whenever you buy something. So if
they can get you to buy something every 12 months instead of every 18
months, they get more money.

But you can also make economics work in your favor...

1. It's possible that the market for the individual constellation
components would be larger than just the consumer cell phone market.
For instance, there's a comparatively small, but not insignificant
market for GSM modules in the telematics space. If you created a GSM
to Bluetooth / USB gateway that could be used for consumer as well as
industrial uses, it's conceivable that the increased production will
drive the NRE / fixed cost per unit produced down to a point
comparable to that of the integrated device.

2. There's an outside chance that a longer product life could be
converted into higher revenue. From a product positioning
perspective, you could argue that even thought the cost of the
constellation will likely be greater than that of the integrated
product, the customer is paying for a product that is "future proof."
That is, when one of the components is obsoleted, only that component
must be replaced, so in the long run it's cheaper.

3. Also... related to point 2, let me just say three words: "Extended
Service Plan." w00t!

4. If your business is selling mobile devices, then an integrated
product is probably the way to go. But if you're selling a product
that lives "higher up the food chain," like a consulting or a
communication service, then the best of breed can be the right approach.

-Cheers!
-Matt H.