Location Privacy Protocols, was Re: GPS trail - crazy idea

Jeffrey Thomas eljefedelito at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:24:49 CEST 2007

> I don't see why one user would not want to reveal his location, because
> he already send it regularly, although less precisely, to his telco
> because that's how GSM works. AFAIK, telcos are then free to use this
> information commercialy and forced to give all details to the cops when
> asked to, so I don't see how this app could make things worst.

There is a slight difference, in my eyes, to broadcasting your personal information to everyone, and giving it to a TelCo (which _hopefully_ doesn't actively monitor you) which may share it with a _hopefully_ legitimate law enforcement agency.  Sure there is opportunity for abuse in either situation, but generally I like to have a bit more faith in my law enforcement than in an unknown stalker.

True, there are plenty of cases where I am wrong and where law enforcement abuse their powers, or where TelCos abuse their power or get hacked.  But for an ordinary day, I usually just want some anonymity.

All that said, I would like the feature ;)