Group purchase/shipping generally

Sean Moss-Pultz sean at openmoko.com
Tue Jul 10 03:34:40 CEST 2007

On Jul 4, 2007, at 12:52 AM, Thomas Gstädtner wrote:

> before some days Hans van der Merwe asked, if it is possible to do
> group purchases (in South Africa).
> Unfortunately he got no answer, so I'd like to ask again.

We can ship anywhere that UPS can ship now ;-)

> I'm from germany and I think there are many people here who like to
> buy a GTA01 device.
> If everyone orders a single device it are $20 to $40 for the
> shipment PLUS 19% VAT on the device INCLUDING the shipment.
> Let's assume you order a device for $300, shipment is expensive
> with $40 this are $340, plus VAT it are $405.
> Now let's assume there are 4 people who want to have a device, the
> package is still small enough for $40.
> So we pay ((($300*4)+$40)*1.19)/4 what makes $370 (+$5 for
> forwarding the packet inland).
> So everybody could save at least $30, maybe more if it would be
> possible to send bigger packets.

I know shipping is a bit pricey now. But we just don't have our
global distribution setup yet. We're working on this, but it won't be
in place before our mass market launch in Oct. Sorry for any troubles
this might cause. We just don't have the bandwidth to do this now.

> It would be nice if someone at FIC (Sean? :) ) could tell us if it
> would be possible to take group orders and how many devices could
> be shipped at once.
> Knowing that would be great, because groups could plan the purchase
> before the 9th.

You can order a max of 11 devices at a time. Let us know (by email)
if you need to order more and we can talk about this case-by-case.

-Sean