The Openmoko Vo-IP network

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 13 14:36:58 CEST 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 12:08, ramsesoriginal wrote:
> On 7/13/07, Nick Johnson <arachnid at notdot.net> wrote:
> > On 7/11/07, George Abraham <kingeorge at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Now that we have a great phone to use, we could use a great channel
> > > for communication. The vision is to communicate using the most open
> > > channel of communication ( the Internet) using VoIP technology for
> > > routing all mobile phone calls. Openmoko application framework can be
> > > used to create a "skype-like" client running on openmoko. A wireless
> > > router can provide the "mobility", which are connected to each other
> > > using the Internet. The hotspot can be serviced by WiMAX or WiFi
> > > technology. The router will talk to other openmoko routers, routing
> > > the call to users on openmoko network. Files and video can be
> > > transfered/ streamed to each other through openmoko. This would be a
> > > great to go along with Openmoko, not only providing a "free" phone,
> > > but also a "free" network as well.
> >
> > There is already a technology for this - SIP - and open VOIP PABXes
> > (Asterisk). We just need a client for OpenMoko. No sense reinventing
> > the wheel. :)
> >
> > -Nick Johnson
> >
> I think on this way there could be somethnig more powerful for the
> OpenMoko: some sort of ad-hoc network between openmokos. hm.. let's see if
> I can describe what i mean: Some sort of Adressed Walkie-Talkie with
> openmoko as clients AND as repeaters. It should be possible, and useful for
> example in companies where the OpenMoko is adopted as officaial phone, or
> for Trekking groups, et cetera...

SIP will work client to client. If you get ad-hoc or mesh networking over WiFi
and share your sip identity it should just work. Putting a nice, usable
interface on it and making it secure will be more of a challenge.

In a company I would not use that solution as it's a management nightmare. A
SIP client connecting over WiFi to an asterisk server makes much more sense.