GTA02 Board only option in October?

Marc-Olivier Barre mobarre at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 09:14:55 CEST 2007

On 7/14/07, Joe Pfeiffer <jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net> wrote:
> Rod Whitby writes:
> >Is there anyone who is involved in hardware development and seriously
> believes that the cost of an upgrade board (which necessarily will
> have all the stuff like the LCD attached to it, cause they are not
> end-user replaceable parts) will be any cheaper than the cost of a
> whole phone?
>
> Why won't the LCD be a user-replaceble part?  It certainly was in my
> old Palm III; the screens I've encountered in the past have connected
> to their devices with a, well, connector!

I think one can even see the connector on the mainboards photo...

> >The stuff that is not replaced is just some bits of plastic ...
>
> Also, of course, there won't be a need for a new microSD nor
> batteries...

And the debug board, the antenna. Seriously, it does make a difference.

Moreover, if some new boards had to be sent to the beta testers in a
given country, that could all be sent at once and then dispatched by a
local OpenMoko group. freight cost would also be a lot less.

I do myself wonder if it is possible. I am tempted to buy my Neo now,
but I'm not ready to pay a second phone in October to get the new
functionalities. I'd rather wait... $450 is a lot of money, even
though I can afford it.

I'm sure the guys at OpenMoko are very busy right now shipping all the
phones. I heard Sean mentioning that they were thinking about
'eventually' shipping spare parts separately. I sure we'll hear more
about it later...