Hardware/Software UI Relationship

Todd W trwww at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 17 18:10:57 CEST 2007

From: "David Duardo" <dduardo at gmail.com>
> ... I drew up some rough pencil drawings of a GUI with
> just bare necessities as a start: dialer, contacts and messages. Then I
> went to the wiki to find out the actually hardware constraints of the
> Neo1973 in order to get a realistic idea of what the size the icons and
> text can be.
>
> This is where I ran into trouble As high resolution as the the LCD is,
> it simply is too small to be used with a finger based user interface,
> which is what most people would want to use on a cellphone because it is
> most convenient. At the upper bound, with the Neo1973, you can have 3
> columns by 4 rows of buttons that are of a comfortable size...
>
> http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=neo1973screenwq9.png
>
> Perhaps I'm asking too much, but nevertheless, I would like to hear your
> opinions.

You might want to go take a look at a HTC Apache (Sprint PPC6700 or Verizon
XV6700). It has a slide-out keyboard underneath. But when looking at the
device with the keyboard slid in it looks like a Neo1973, or at least laid
out like it more than almost any other phone would (big screen, no/few
buttons "underneath" it).

The "phone application" has two screens, one that shows a dialer, and one
that is displayed when the device dials or recieves a call. Theres a button
to return to the dialer screen while on the "call detail" screen.

The touch screen is designed for a stylus, but I have no problem dialing
with my fingers.

Todd W.