Camera on GTA02

David "Lefty" Schlesinger lefty at access-company.com
Mon Jul 23 20:36:56 CEST 2007

coomac wrote:
> On 7/23/07, *Giles Jones* <giles.jones at zen.co.uk
> <mailto:giles.jones at zen.co.uk>> wrote:
>

>     As mention previously, anything which requires the modification of
>     the casing will be very expensive and so it's not planned.
>
>     I'm sure however that people will have a go at hacking the unit
>     and addition a module in somehow.
>
>     Personally it's not a feature I care for, what with owning an SLR.
>
>     I'm hoping to port some photo management software, maybe use ufRaw
>     or similar. So you'd be able to hook up your SLR or compact. But
>     obviously memory is tight on the device.
>
>     ---
>     G O Jones
>

> Thanks for clearing that up. I had been waiting for an announcement of
> the camera resolution like a kid on christmas eve. Was really hoping
> for a 3 MP to replace my current phone or at least a 2 MP with video
> to better trounce the iPhone. I still have high hopes for the phone,
> though I can't help wondering how much the lack of a basic camera will
> affect mass adoption.
>
> Possibly very ignorant on my part, but I was under the assumption
> modifying the case to add a camera hole would be a very minor change
> (read inexpensive). Ie drilling (cutting out?) a hole and covering it
> with some transparent material like glass or plastic. I know zilch
> about how this works on a large scale, so it is entirely possible I'm
> wrong here.
Sigh. I'm having flashbacks to the "can't you just add some WiFi?"
discussions of the GTA-01 unit.

Okay, since I seem to frequently function as the injector of some
reality into these discussions (aka "wet blanket"), yes, drilling a hole
in the case is straightforward. Now, how do you propose to actually wire
the camera module into the rest of the system, dare I ask...?