Multi-touch, screen size, and case shape.

ramsesoriginal ramsesoriginal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 09:27:55 CEST 2007

On 7/24/07, Shawn Rutledge <shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I agree with all your points.
>
> I suspect the Apple patents are on the interaction techniques, and
> possibly on some specific hardware.  Obviously multi-touch existed a
> few years ago (FingerWorks was around, and I think the FTIR method was
> invented even earlier).  We will see how the lawsuits turn out, which
> patents Apple can defend and which they cannot.  (Lawsuits would seem
> to be inevitable given the flurry of activity which the iPhone has
> provoked.)

Multitouch screens are around so much time that apple can have patents just
on their specific implementation.

However some of the interactions which only involve one finger on the
> iPhone, should still be possible with a conventional touchscreen (for
> example, "flicking" to scroll a page).

That's correct.

A physically larger screen would be nice to read, and I personally
> would put up with the larger overall size (especially if it makes up
> for it by being thinner); but people have their stereotypes about how
> big a phone is "too big," and something larger than the iPhone will
> not sell as well.

 A good idea would be to use the so-much-talked-about-but-never-used
e-paper: simply a small e-paper attached to the back of the phone, which can
be rolled out to have a bigger screen. Some sort of medieval-pergament-sort
of look. Wold be great IMO. The normal phone for normal applications, the
e-paper for browsing, reading, whathing movies, etc.

(If people could just get away from holding the
> whole thing up to their ears like a brick, it would help.  Maybe use a
> bluetooth headset?  but I don't use one myself either.)

Headsets aren't always well-seen by people, so I would force them to use
them.

--
My corner of the web: http://ramsesoriginal.wordpress.com
My dream, my world: http://abenu.wordpress.com