[Community Tools] Re: Why you won't find me in the forum much

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Thu Jul 26 11:02:28 CEST 2007

> if they are connected, then there  isn't anything to be decidet.

Well, there was already the hint that gmane or Google Groups can do
exactly that *or even do it* (mirror the mailing list in a Web based
forum-like view). But apparently it did not find enough acceptance
(including myself).

My main objection is that a mailing list is inherently not
structured. And automatic structuring by threads (common subject
title) is not enough - it is just one level. And the main argument
for a forum is to have a better structure for newcomers so that they
find solutions more easily. So I doubt that it works in practive.

And it would enforce all mailing list proponents a new habit: e.g. to
add a [Subforum] to new posts. From my impression, they do not want
to do that because they are completely happy with what they already
have!