another GPS idea - speed-sensitive voicemail

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Sat Jul 28 22:09:25 CEST 2007

Mark Eichin wrote:
> Use case:
>
>   When I'm walking around, I'll answer the phone.  When I'm driving, I
>   won't (one phonecall == two beers worth of distraction)... but am
>   willing to pull over if the caller thinks it's important enough.
>
>   I shouldn't have to *tell* the phone what mode I'm in: GPS can
>   provide velocity information.  If my speed is over 10mph, the phone
>   should pick up, dump a pre-recorded explanation to the caller, and
>   let them "press 1 to interrupt the driver, or just wait a few
>   seconds and leave voicemail."
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973_Audio_Subsystem implies that
> call recording is possible, so the audio paths are there, right?  If
> so, a lot of local voice-robot stuff is possible...

Yes.
See [[Category:Calling Features]] on the wiki.

There are 2 D/A, 2 A/D flexibly routed, and one D/A that is dedicated to
the earpiece.

About the only limitation is that you can't do things that would require
more IO sources than are available.
For example, playing stereo MP3, and acting as voicemail/answerphone may
not be possible.
(It'd have to drop to mono).