GTA02 Board only option in October?

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Mon Jul 30 13:23:13 CEST 2007

Harald Welte wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 03:07:44PM -0400, Kyle Bassett wrote:
>
>>Harald,
>>
>>I am curious, what do you estimate the cost (as a percentage or dollar
>>amount) that the GTA02 board "kit" would run compared to the expected $450
>>base price?  I do prefer your idea about selling the GTA01Bv4 instead of
>>upgrading...some people would just rather do it themselves...bragging
>>rights?  ;)
>

> I'd expect that upgrade kit would have to be at least 350USD.  So as
> long as you can sell the GTA01 for more than 100USD, it should be better
> to do so.
>
> Also, given the low quantities we run at this time, it would really hurt
> us to see that many GTA01 going to the junkyard.  If the old ones get
> sold, we increase the population of Neo's.  If we take them apart and
> re-use, we don't get more devices deployed..

On a related topic.
I would like to see a bare GTA01 board being available - even after
GTA02 becomes available.

Low-power, small board with GSM, USB, and even a parallel LCD connector
that may be suitable to some other displays.
I haven't seen anything at a similar price-point - say $200?

This would be a bare board in a cardboard box, in an anti-static bag.
Absolutely nothing else.