OpenMoko - We Need HYPE, and we need it yesterday!

Florent THIERY fthiery at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 01:33:46 CEST 2007

Indeed, people want features, not only ideology. The ideology part is
a great aspect for free software advocates, but is a mainstream
consumer aware of it, would he care at first sight ? No; a lot of
people buy fair trade coffee if it has a good taste (apart of the
little taste of freedom :p).

I mean, a neo looks like a great device, but so far it's mainly a
regular "smartphone"; if the project continues to improve, one day the
neo will do what linux is best at: full network integration (fuse
filesystems are a good example i think), disruptive ideas (we'll soon
have hardware-accelerated graphics, a GPS, as well as accelerators...
plenty of room for work and innovation in the UI part ! ), and fun,
human applications.

But it's not for tomorrow...