Some thoughts about iphone & openmoko

Brad Midgley bmidgley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 04:58:18 CEST 2007

Fabien,

One thing we miss in OSS and many commercial OSS mixes is someone in charge
of UI who knows what is easy to use and what falls down. I get the feeling
that FIC does not have a UI overlord. The UI improves from release to
release, but there are some consistency etc issues I've noticed... for
example:

* the home screen is a good start for finger navigation, but once you choose
an app (eg dialer) you need a stylus to get back to it.
* clicking the white area for a popup keyboard is no good. You have to have
a stylus to use the keyboard, so it could easily work to have an icon in the
tray on the top right
* the application switcher is itself an application which conflicts with
some common sense interaction (it should pop up & down, it's too complicated
for a simple job)
* the bottom bar says "OpenMoko TaskManager" and never changes
* app dropdowns like contacts look good with new/create/delete right there,
but this same thing is missing in the calendar app and the calendar makes a
poor choice to use "Quit" instead of "Close" in its menu

Are there big picture user guidelines in place? Something that defines what
the app dropdown should contain for example?

I guess it's up to us to complain about or fix the rough edges so it'll
converge on something reasonable.

Brad