R: Some thoughts about iphone & openmoko

Peter A Trotter peter.trotter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 12:42:05 CEST 2007

I've had a whole series of Sony-Ericsson phones.

Ignoring the smart phones for a second there has been a real progression and
positive trend in their UI's. They certainly have taken on board user
feedback. All of my issues with the K750i were gone in the W880i - right
down to making Text the default type of message instead of MMS.

With the right level of feedback and control we should really be able to
leverage the community here. But with openmoko being the sort of project
that it is a benevolent dictator will be required to to really focus the
default UI while hopefully there will be a lot of projects in the wild to
work with.

Essentially choice for the mass market isn't really an option. It's mainly
for people willing to tinker, even if that just means installing a few extra
packages. The default UI will need to be well led.

-Pete