R: UI ideas/questions or can we animate things as smooth as iPhone?

Michele Manzato michele.manzato at verona.miz.it
Thu Jun 7 11:35:20 CEST 2007

I agree that target #2 are my parents, but at this stage iPhone-like
fluidity should't be at the top of the priority list.

The first prerequisite is responsiveness. The device must react quickly,
say:
- <15s  	device startup
- <1s		startup of commonly used application (dialer, contacts,
agenda)
- <1s 	switching between applications
- <0.5s	interaction within the application
- ~5s 	startup of other (bulkier) applications
Sample figures, some can be higher or lower but we should fix reasonable
targets.

Then we must choose a system software & library architecture that is able to
guarantee the above, at least for GTA-02 (CPU is going to be only 50% faster
than 01...). I'm also fine with GTK, but it seems that the device currently
shipped can't get even near to those figures. Note that the current sw
architecture is deeply layered, which is great for developing and mantaining
applications, but on the other hand apps tend to run slower. It's a trade.

Then, if we got here and we still have some spare CPU ticks, we can use them
for bells, whistles & smoothing things as the iPhone does. Maybe the newer
GPU in -02 will help.

Br
Michele