UI ideas/questions or can we animate things as smooth as iPhone?

Mikko J Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Jun 7 15:42:35 CEST 2007

On to, 2007-06-07 at 01:23 +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Tomasz Zielinski wrote:
> > I'm 100% sure nobody will cry after pure-X11 applications we loose
> > this way. Almost every GTK application would require rewriting/porting
> > to fit OpenMoko capabilities, so it's not great loss too. Not to
> > mention font and other DPI-aware issues.
>
> Interesting. Can I hear more supportive or counter arguments?
> What do the others think?

I would be a bit disappointed of the loss of flexibility and ease of
portability, what with the reuse of desktop technologies and all. My
concern would be alleviated by the fact that in the end one could run
core apps and Mokoized apps directly on the frame buffer and still have
an X server available for stuff that is not-so-thoroughly Mokoized
(would have to have some extra integration wrt. window management...)

All and all, I'd not be overly distressed, and it wouldn't really affect
any buying decision or recommendation. I just have to wonder where the
performance issues actually are; I'd _think_ that one should be able to
manage a reasonably responsive GTK/X gui on it, given *cough* other
similar devices... Plus, more work, more delays for switching from X
over to Something Else. But I'm no expert on hardware of this grade and
relevant software, so I'm just spewing intuition here.

--
Mikko J Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki