UI ideas/questions or can we animate things as smooth as iPhone?

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Jun 7 20:18:00 CEST 2007

to, 2007-06-07 kello 09:05 -0700, John Seghers kirjoitti:
> I've been writing games since 1981, on Atari 5200, 8-bit NES, SFX, Genesis,
> Windows, and too many cell phones to keep track of. Please, please, please
> give us direct access to the frame buffer and a low level API to the Blitter
> in the GTA02.
>
> I don't know if you have to throw away X11 support to do so, but I do agree
> that you won't lose much if you do so.

Shouldn't be a requirement for framebuffer access. Presumably you could
have another VC available, or even just be very naughty and map the
framebuffer while X still has it as well. I'm not sure if these
approaches would be workable as such right away, but shouldn't take much
of a tweak to make it so. (Oh yeah, and there is the DGA2 extension,
which I don't know if the server supports, and which is apparently hoped
to die a good death.)

Access to any acceleration features possibly in GTA-02 would be a whole
different can of worms, then, and would probably require duplication of
effort. Come to think of it, eg. the current OpenGL acceleration
framework is X.org-integrated, would probably require some effort to
hack OpenGL ME acceleration without it.

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>