UI ideas/questions or can we animate things as smooth as iPhone?

John Seghers jseghers at cequint.com
Thu Jun 7 23:27:16 CEST 2007

Daniel sent his response directly instead of to the list by accident. I
confirmed that with him so I'm leaving his entire reply and adding my points
at the end...

What I see is a situation very similar to the WinG (Windows Game) libraries
in the Windows 95 timeframe.  These allowed a Windows app to take over the
entire screen and bypass GDI--even to the point of changing screen res and
refresh rates.  Then, when you Alt-Tab'd away, or some other reason required
you to go back to other windows, you'd revert back to the normal modes.

If we can have a method by which an app can take over the screen from X, and
then give it back (or have it taken back if necessary) then the apps (e.g.
games) that need bare-metal access can do it, and those that can perform
fine within X can do that.

I'm certainly not trying to say that all apps need bare-metal access, or
that frameworks are a bad thing.  But they become bad if they prevent you
from bypassing them at need.

I'm not an X expert--I've dealt with Linux as little as possible in my
career--so I don't have ready access to the knowledge about what is
possible, what is easy, and what just plain won't work with these systems.
If we can keep X and GTK and provide a way to get maximum performance for
those apps that need it...great!

- John