Clarification Rant

Jonathon Suggs jsuggs at murmp.com
Fri Jun 8 17:25:11 CEST 2007

Well since this was supposed to be available back in March, there was no
immediate need.  Now the pressure (for me) is starting to build.  So it
is more of a question of I've been waiting for ~3 months now and there
is still no idea of when it is going to actually become available.

Yes, I could go out and buy a cheap phone today.  But then the Neo could
be out tomorrow and I would have wasted my money.  But its not even a
money issue for me.  Its a lack of communication issue.  The original
date was March.  Sean clearly explained why they had to push back the
date, but only said that new devices would be out "soon."  Then there
was another production run and we all thought that THAT was going to be
when they were available...but there were issues and we got bumped back
to "soon" again.  LCD shortages, bad production runs, whats next?  Are
they are going to scrap the GTA-01's in favor of ramping up production
lines for the GTA-02 (since that will possibly be the mass-market
hardware) but at a few months delay?

So while I'm complaining, I'm also appreciative of the information that
has been passed down to us.  However, that doesn't erase the fact that
they set a date and missed it only to be followed up with a "soon"
response.  It would be different if they had just said that it would be
available in 2007, but to set an exact date then not come through?  Then
not even give a follow up date...it just seems a little "off" to me.

So I know that I'm sounding really down on Sean and the bunch and that
isn't my sentiment.  I'm excited about what the platform has the
potential to do.  But its just deflating to see it "failing" at such an
early point in the development cycle...I guess my optimism can only last
so long.  I guess what I'm getting at is if they can't get something out
the door now (when it is arguably the most important time for the
platform) then what is the future going to be like?  I'm going to have
to see some MAJOR progress to get my hopes back up to where they were
when I first heard about and started following the project.