cellphone-sized X86 PC motherboard potential OpenMoko platform?

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Sun Jun 10 21:48:41 CEST 2007

Before we run off and predict that the sky is falling, let's consider
a couple of things:

1. This is a prototype. This is not a product. This is a system that
demonstrates how small you can make a device with the new C7-S
processors. Also... take a look at how many discrete components are
on the board. Now open up any of your mobile electronics and compare.
It's doesn't completely destroy your BOM cost to have these
components, but it does add a bit of manufacturing cost. Adding $12
to the cost of the phone is pretty much a deal-killer for "mobile
phones," but not for "smart phones" and "mobile terminals."

2. No. the only reason for an x86 cell phone is not to run windows.
ARM is very popular for WinCE devices. Less popular is MIPS. And
somewhere at the bottom of the popularity scale is x86. But... it is
there. There's also an operating system called Linux that's been
known to run on x86 devices. And... if you were wanting to build a
mobile phone with the Skype libraries installed, right now, your only
option is x86.

3. CDMA. I agree, it is odd that CDMA would be their first choice.
Perhaps they were working closely with a customer that had a specific
requirement for CDMA, or maybe they engineer they tasked with the job
of building this thing was more familiar with CDMA. But the major
manufacturers like Nokia, Sony-Ericsson, etc. all make both GSM and
CDMA versions of their phones. I sorta got used to companies
releasing GSM phones first, as there's a larger market. But CDMA is
definitely an important player in China, South Korea and the US.

So my guess is... somewhere out there in China is a group that wants
to make a CDMA2000 phone for sale in the domestic market. They're
trying to build a smart-phone or a "mobile terminal" like the
blackberry or Treo. Market penetration of Linux phones in China is
much better than it is here in the states or Europe. So maybe they're
interested in using an x86-only library on a mobile device. My guess
is Skype. Furthermore, my guess is they approached Via with the idea
of using one of their processors. Via referred them to Epia who began
designing a demo board. The deal fell through and now Via needs to
find an application for these processors, so publicizing this
prototype is a way of getting people to think about x86 embedded.

IMHO, the only reason you would want to have an x86 based processor
like the C7-S (which is still an order of magnitude worse in power
consumption than ARM processors) is to run x86 specific code. So
yeah... that could be XP/embedded, but it could also be some x86
specific Linux library.

Just my $0.02.

-Cheers
-Matt H.