Wiimote, I2C & Neo

Florent THIERY fthiery at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 14:08:43 CEST 2007

> I guess if what you really want is the joystick

... Or any upcoming Wii accessories (who knows what will come from
these prolific brains ^^ ?); i guess a text input accessory will have
to come sooner or later. Yet, as you pointed out, here i'm interested
by the joystick + buttons

> you'd want the nunchuck part.  But obviously that data is sent via
> bluetooth as well.  Of course, the remote costs $40 instead of just $20 for
> the nunchuck.

Exactly; but using the wiimote as gateway for it's accessories will:
* suck battery (wiimote & neo) -- bluetooth's fault
* require more pockets :p

> What applications are you thinking about for this?

I have no cparticular application in mind (apart the added input
methods -- 3D GPS navigation and games comes to mind ) ; in fact, what
i think is really great is that Nintendo uses I2C for accessories.
Which means, no need for OpenMoko to spread lots of accessories: just
go to your videogames retailer (huge existing distribution network),
pick up your favourite Nintendo accessory, and plug it in your I2C
expansion pack (adapter required).