unbundling of phone services

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Wed Jun 13 00:50:40 CEST 2007

A Mobile LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) system would be slightly
different that an MVNO. MVNO's mostly differentiate themselves on
branding instead of services. LLU is what you get when you force
ILECs (Incumbent Local Exchange Carriers) to allow third parties to
connect to the local loop (the wire running from the carrier's
central office to the customer premises.) The mobile equivalent would
be to force the wireless network operators to provide "value add"
third parties with rack space in mobile base-stations or like UNE/P
an ATM interface to data, video or voice data from the handset
without passing it through the carrier's network. Some of the
services you could expect from such a setup would be:

a. you could pick your long distance company for your mobile phone
the same way you pick your long distance company for your wireline
(at least in the US.) But since virtually all mobile plans now
include free long distance calling, the only time this would be
interesting is if you did a lot of international calling.

b. enhanced 411 service. I'm on t-mobile, and their 411 service
totally, absolutely, completely blows. It should be straight-forward
with LLU to, on a per-subscriber basis, route 411 calls to non-
sucktastic competitors.

c. Mobile to Skype interface.

d. MMC (Mobile to Mobile Convergence) - In theory, if I was able to
put one of my boxes on the SS7 network managed by the carrier, I
could advertise a SIP like service that would let me do UMA-like
handoff between my home / office WiFi network and the cell network.

Such services tend to give the carriers fits, so you're unlikely to
see anything like this in the near future. Well... not from the
established carriers anyway. They wound up overpaying for spectrum
back in the 90's and are still looking for ways to amortize that cost.

MVNOs on the other hand, essentially resell the mobile services
provided by an established carrier, but use their own billing systems
and marketing channels.

-Cheers
-Matt H.