unbundling of phone services

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Wed Jun 13 05:05:37 CEST 2007

Yeah... good point. I believe one of the ways the UNE system could be
configured was where data from the subscriber was transported to a
distant physical location via ATM, SoNet, etc. In fact, most of the
centralized modem banks in the states were replaced with banks of
modems at each CO. Modem calls were terminated at the CO and data was
carried over frame relay over ATM to various ISPs. This made sense
for the ILECs as it cut down on the number of circuits that had to
traverse the network.

So that could be a model. Maybe the third party equipment could be
located at the carrier's data center and hook directly into their
terrestrial SS7 network. That way it would be accessible to the whole
network.

-Cheers
-Matt H.