OpenMoko != Neo1973 (Was: Openness (was RE: Concern for usability and ergonomics))

Joe Friedrichsen pengi.films at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 05:26:23 CEST 2007

On 6/12/07, Rod Whitby <rod at whitby.id.au> wrote:

> OpenMoko (the registered organisation, separate from FIC the company who
> is creating the first piece of hardware designed for the OpenMoko
> software) never promised open hardware.  They promised open software
> (the OpenMoko software, which is being developed *completely* in the
> open), and they gave some dates that they *expected* (not promised) FIC
> (the hardware company) to be ready to sell some hardware (the Neo1973)
> that the OpenMoko software runs on.

Yes, most of the hardware designs and schematics aren't distributed,
but there are shadows of scraps here and there thanks to Werner (
http://svn.openmoko.org/developers/werner/usb-pullup/new.spice ). The
Neo appears to be a well-assembled collection of chips and parts not
designed or fabbed by FIC. They took some Legos and made a remarkable
product. It's like a capstone design project on steriods.

Given that this phone is meant to be opened and tinkered with, I
imagine that schematics could be drafted without too much strain. The
phone could then be //conceivably// reproduced. However, I don't know
at this point how valuable open hardware would to an individual be
since silicon and copper aren't that easily modified or produced at
home. Quality surface-mount soldering and RF noise are just a few of
the smaller hurldes to jump over.

Software has the advantage for now :-) Those simple text files are
just too easy to change!

Until we get our own fab-labs,
Joe