Will Openmoko ever see the light of day? Was Re: Concern for usability and ergonomics

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 14 13:51:20 CEST 2007

On Thursday 14 June 2007 12:21, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Attila Csipa wrote:
snip...
> >> And wait, and wait. And it never shows up. Then you get back on the
> >> phone and eventually you find another parts distributor. Since then,
> >> I've started taking delivery dates with a pretty large grain of salt.
> >
> > I have a story about an embedded automation device where in the end
> > heavily modded Buffalo and Linksys wireless routers were used. Not bc
> > they were all that well suited for the task, but because they were pretty
> > available and had most of the parts already on them. People do funny
> > things to meet deadlines :)
>
> parts on them... and the software is mostly done too!
>
> This is the only worrisome thing to me.  Nobody has seen the software.

Many people have seen the software, and some have even contributed apps. You
could even try it yourself. Mokomakefile provides a relatively easy way to
get the build environment, make the whole OpenMoko root image from the latest
SVN sources, and run it in a qemu virtual machine customised to emulate the
neo1973. just follow the instructions.