New wishlist item: Side-mounted touch strip sensor

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 19 12:24:34 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 19 June 2007 10:39, thomas.cooksey at bt.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've added a new item on the hardware wishlist:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wish_List_-_Hardware#Side-Mounted_Touch_St
> rip

<snip>
> This is an idea which was floated on the SVHMPC list a few months ago.
> The only possible issue is those people who are left-handed. Perhaps a
> strip on each side would be the best way to go. :-)

When holding the device for 2-handed operation you'll probably find thumb and
index finger at about the same position on opposite sides. I find the
comfortable range of movement about the same for each, and they're similarly
easy to move, so a single sided sensor could be used with either hand. Put a
sensor on each side and you can operate both together.

For one handed operation the index finger can easily go where the thumb does
for 2-handed operation, but this would need sensors both sides to cover left
and right handedness.