Possible security hole for Dialers/troyan horses

Tim Newsom cephdon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 23:50:24 CET 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:42, Tomasz Zielinski wrote:
> 2007/3/1, mathew davis <someoneinjapan at gmail.com>:
>
>> then give it a rating of some sort 1 - being safe/trusted program and
>> 10 -
>> being known bad binary/ don't use at any cost unless you really want
>> bad
>> things to happen.
>
> Well, nobody will recognize difference between rating 2 and 3 or 6 and
> 7. I think set of three values is sufficient: 1 - allow network/GSM
> activity, 2 - ask every time app is trying to open connection/send
> SMS/make voice call, 3 - ban without asking.
>
> I wonder if OpenMoko system/library calls can be overriden or catch at
> layer which will be able to show dialog popup for setting 2.
>
> --
> Tomek Z.
> tomasz.zielinski at gmail.com

What about a mobile virus/trojan/malware protection system.. Say like
norton antivirus or <insert your favorite here> designed to help
identify and protect the user from known threats...
Having that installed you could scan it when it was saved and alert on
the threat, protect against unknown activity when it starts or while its
been running and kill it/quarantine it if necessary.  Combined with its
own protected memory area so that it can't harm or investigate running
programs it would seem to provide the best of all worlds..

Is something like that available? What do you think it would take to
convert a currently available linux based program similar to the above
to do this?

--Tim