'My Account' - a way to store information about the phones owner, so they can be reunited if it's lost.

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Mar 2 03:58:38 CET 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Ian Stirling wrote:

> Reflashing never gets you back a different account number, it keys off the
> IMEI, which is not flashable. (well, perhaps it is, but it's not flashable
> from the linux side, and AIUI, nobody else knows how at the moment.)

I really hope the IMEI number is not available to every application or even
the kernel itself. Perhaps only when booting the phone with some special setting
in which case it refuses to use the GSM network, so people cannot be coerced into
enabling this identifying mark. We already went through this with the pentium
serial number.

Paul