GPS for 911 calls

Martin Lefkowitz lefko at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 6 02:53:42 CET 2007

Yes, but for VoIP I believe it is still in flux.  There is an especially
nasty issue with encryption and 802.11 with the way the standard is
described because it assumes you are already on the network.  However
with 802.1x based systems you need to be authenticated.  As far as I
know this has not completely been worked out.

It would be great to take advantage of GPS to do this from the
Application layer without having to modify the 802.11 driver and to send
802.11 MAC frames.  You also need to make sure you do not send GPS
coordinates unencrypted because that can be a life and death issue (for
example a bad guy trying to figure out exactly where the victim is, by
sniffing the air).  In fact OpenMoko may enable the described scenario
to happen.

I can't remember how emergency calls work in regards to TMSI in GSM.

Marty