Real world bluetooth range?

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Wed Mar 7 18:42:51 CET 2007

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Sven Neuhaus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> now that some phase 0 units have arrived, could someone please check the
> real-world bluetooth range that can be achieved? I wonder if one bluetooth
> AP can cover an entire flat (for VoIP etc). According to the wiki, the
> bluetooth in the Neo is of class 2, so the range should be around 10 meters.
> It'd be best if you have a class 1 bluetooth dongle (100 meter range) to
> test the range of course, so the Neo is the limiting factor and not the PC
> bluetooth dongle.
>
> Thanks,
> -Sven

I will be happy to do so. Unfortunately I am slammed at work this week but
will do this next week.

The device as shipped doesn't have many apps ready to use, but I'm sure there
are command line utilities to poke and prod the bluetooth hardware. I really
haven't yet had time to read the online documentation nor to explore my
device.

I would expect this range to vary with the strength and quality of the radio
in the device I'm communicating with. I don't suppose there is a standard,
e.g. a particular headset (make and model) such that comparisons are valid?

Michael