GPS for 911 calls

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200703 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 19:14:48 CET 2007

Harald Welte <laforge at openmoko.org> writes:
> I am not aware that GSM carriers in the US use GPS at all.  To the best
> of my knowledge, only CDMA carriers do.
>
> In the Neo1973 we don't have any such facility or protocol.  And to be
> honest: I'm more than happy about that, for data protection reasons.

I'm curious does anyone know if there is a protocol for remotely
turning on the microphone?  I recall reading about a case where the US
FBI got into trouble with the courts for remotely bugging a suspected
Mafia member's Onstar gps-equipped car phone.

    http://news.com.com/2100-1029-6140191.html

While such a feature might be useful if the phone were ever stolen, it
would also be nice to know that any features like this are under the
phone owner's full control.

-wolfgang