AGPS - protocol specs?

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Thu Mar 8 13:51:11 CET 2007

Ian Stirling schrieb:
> Nils Faerber wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I am interested in doing a little research on the AGPS part. As far as I
>> understood the used Hammerhead chip will dump out the more or less raw
>> GPS data into userland which will then need to be post-processed in
>> order to get the usual NMEA or whatever messages.
>> So, can OpenMoko provide at least somemore information about that chip
>> and especially its output?
> No, the chip is under NDA.

Darn.
I do not care aout most of the chip, just the output format ;)

> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Hardware:AGPS has the current state of play.
> Basically, the satellite format is known, and not especially hard to
> decode especially if we also get NMEA (or whatever) output out of the
> supplied daemon at the same time to decode it.

You mean some kind of reverse engeneering trying to match the NMEA
output to the raw input?

> There is all sorts of wacky stuff - for example, peer-peer DGPS that can
> be done, where all stationary neos on charge with a GPS signal and a
> free internet connection contribute to a global ionospheric model.
> Then any Neo can connect to this model, download 200 bytes or so, and
> get +-0.3m (or better) position for a short while.

Exactly.
Also relative positioning can be made much more precise using the raw
data (AFAIK in the range of cm not m).

Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535