What moblie service to get, part 2

Mike Krier mikek at onehammer.com
Sat Mar 10 00:40:01 CET 2007

Mike wrote:

> Jonathon Suggs wrote:
>> You can "dial" up, it will be really slow and probably unreliable.  I
>> think 9.6k is as fast as you can go.  Not to mention that when you
>> "dialing in" you will be using your cell phone minutes.  A data plan
>> allows you to use GPRS, which is a newer (still pretty old though) and
>> faster connection up to 56k.  The down side is that you will probably
>> have to sign a contract.  You will then either get an unlimited plan
>> (~$20-40/month) or a pay as you go plan (~.15/kb).
>>
>> Let me know if you want more details.  And anyone else feel free to
>> correct any mis-information.
>

> Do you think this would work?
>
> http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp
>

> I get confused about what counts as a "data plan".  It looks like
> they're putting text messaging under the term "data plan".  But it
> sounds like what you're saying is I'd need to do one of their "Data
> Connect" thing, right?  damn...
>
> http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/services/services-list.jsp?catId=cat1510007&catName=Data+Add-Ons
>

> Can I do "SmartPhone Connect (5MB)" instead of "Data Connect"? It's
> cheaper...
>
> See what I mean about this information needing to be somewhere on the
> openmoko site.  The phone is great but we can't develop for it if we
> don't know what service plan to get for it.
>
> The sad thing is years ago I used to write WML apps. now I'm clueless.
> thanks,

Damn apparently my links don't work because of the jsp session. (Bad web
application design on their part).

Here are all their data plans:

Data Add-Ons

PDA Connect Unlimited
With PDA Connect you can browse the Internet and access e-mail from your
PDA device. And now, Xpress Mail is included with PDA Connect Unlimited
at no extra charge.

View Details
You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
See compatible: Phones and Plans
*Monthly Price 	$39.99
Data Connect 10MB
With Data Connect you can browse the Internet and access e-mail from
your PDA device. And now, Xpress Mail is included with Data Connect
Unlimited at no extra charge.

View Details
You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
See compatible: Phones and Plans
*Monthly Price 	$24.99
Data Connect 5MB
With Data Connect you can browse the Internet and access e-mail from
your PDA device. And now, Xpress Mail is included with Data Connect
Unlimited at no extra charge.

View Details
You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
See compatible: Phones and Plans
*Monthly Price 	$19.99
Data Connect 20MB
With Data Connect you can browse the Internet and access e-mail from
your PDA device. And now, Xpress Mail is included with Data Connect
Unlimited at no extra charge.

View Details
You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
See compatible: Phones and Plans
*Monthly Price 	$34.99
SmartPhone Connect Unlimited w/Xpress Mail
With SmartPhone Connect, you can browse the internet from your wireless
Smartphone handset.

View Details
You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
See compatible: Phones and Plans
*Monthly Price 	$19.99
SmartPhone Connect (5MB)
With SmartPhone Connect, you can browse the internet from your wireless
Smartphone handset.

View Details
You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
See compatible: Phones and Plans
*Monthly Price 	$9.99
Blackberry Unlimited
Retrieve e-mail from up to 10 ISP accounts or your corporate e-mail with
a BlackBerry Wireless Handheld. Send, receive, forward, and reply to
messages while on the go!

View Details
You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
See compatible: Phones and Plans
*Monthly Price 	$44.99
BlackBerry Internet Service Plan
Retrieve e-mail from up to 10 ISP accounts with a BlackBerry Wireless
Handheld.

View Details
You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
See compatible: Phones and Plans
*Monthly Price 	$29.99
Blackberry 4MB
Retrieve e-mail from up to 10 ISP accounts or your corporate e-mail with
a BlackBerry Wireless Handheld. Send, receive, forward, and reply to
messages while on the go!

View Details
You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
See compatible: Phones and Plans
*Monthly Price 	$34.99
PDA Connect for BlackBerry Connect 4MB
With PDA Connect for BlackBerry Connect, email messages are
automatically delivered to your device. You can easily send, receive and
reply to emails and calendaring at your convenience.

View Details
You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
See compatible: Phones and Plans
*Monthly Price 	$34.99
PDA Connect for BlackBerry Connect Unlimited
With PDA Connect for BlackBerry Connect, email messages are
automatically delivered to your device. You can easily send, receive and
reply to emails and calendaring at your convenience.

View Details
You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
See compatible: Phones and Plans
*Monthly Price 	$44.99

And so you see why I'm having a hard time being a developer here- I have
no idea what plan will work with an neo phone.  This is why I think this
information should be on the site somewhere, since I imagine everyone
will have the same question.  I want to develop for openmoko phones. My
existing service is ending.  What plan should I get?  If I'm going to
have to sign a 2 year contract, and I pick the wrong service, then
goodbye openmoko development for two years.