What moblie service to get, part 2

adrian cockcroft adrian.cockcroft at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 01:11:05 CET 2007

I've had Cingular unlimited for a year or two on a Treo 650. The basic
plan (national roaming, and a bunch of minutes with rollover) is about
$40/month, then the unlimited data plan adds $35, and with a few text
messages (which are extra charge) added on top my monthly bill is
about $80. I got a big discount on the Treo650 for a two year commit
to this. The SIM card does work in other phones, I have used it in a
Treo600, Nokia 6682 and have no doubt that it will work in an OpenMoko
or homebrew phone.

I use the internet a lot from the Treo, it's EDGE speeds, good enough
for keeping up with a lot of email, google maps and basic browsing,
although its slow. Coverage in the SF Bay Area is good enough and has
been gradually getting better over the years. I had T-Mobile for a
while, and had worse coverage but much better customer support.

I hope this helps,
Adrian