Crossroads

Scott Rushforth scott at spotman.net
Tue Mar 13 20:04:19 CET 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:46:57 -0400
Mike <fromlists at talkingspider.com> wrote:

> Good to see things moving forward on the wifi issue.  But,
>
> I was going to be a developer for this platform, but in light of my
> recent thread, and the lack of wifi support, I don't think I can, at
> least not until it's launched to the general public, which defeats
> the entire purpose of the developer release phase.  It's because of
> the following:
>
> 1. The sheer quantity of information about finding a mobile provider
> with a data plan that will support the neo, as indicated by the
> useful responses to my recent thread.  And the lack of certainty of
> that information.  "I think this will work".  I appreciate those
> on.  And that brings me to problem 2:
>
> 2. The fact that the openmoko guys have apparently just washed their
> hands of the entire issue of which services will work, and aren't
> providing any information on the site (and very little on the wiki).
> (At least start with the big countries/regions).  Your device is
> great, guys, your platform sounds great too. But you can't leave us
> all on our own when it comes to getting the thing on the net.  Your
> neo is a $350 doorstop without a working service provider.
>
> 3. If there was wifi on the device this wouldn't be nearly as much of
> an issue, obviously, because we wouldn't need to rely on the provider
> to get on the net.
>
> Either give us detailed information on which providers and plans will
> work, or get wifi on the device.  Those are the two roads at the
> crossroads.

Not sure what this has to do with Wifi?

I think part of the issue is that the openmoko is a GSM device, and GSM
is available all over the world.  I bet the majority of the company
(FIC), and current developers are probably not even in the same country
you are.  (i have no clue).

So especially in this first developer phase, I think its fair and
understandable that developers and interested individuals do their own
research and experimentation to find out how they will make it work for
them, and contribute that back to the community.

Let's face it, the device is in its very early form, and a lot of
things are not going to be very polished it seems.  I for one am
willing to pay the 350, and also willing to check my account status
with cingular online every few days to see what my usage will look like.

I think if one wants a more polished, internet capable device,
hopefully this community will help that happen by September.  But it
will take a community, research, dedication, and time from many
individuals.  We are at the beginning.

Cheers, and I can't wait for phase 1.

-Scott