Crossroads

Sebastian Mancke asteban at gmx.de
Tue Mar 13 23:33:44 CET 2007

Hi Sean,

the chip in Nokia's 770 and 800 is a Conexant CX3110x.

Although it has a closed firmware, I found this announcement
http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2006-April/003575.html
with no replies on the maemo mailing list. Maybe someone who is faster
in than than me should try to get the driver working on his nokia770.
(The packages mentioned in the announcement do not work on current
maemo, because of the older EABI)

Maybe it would be a good idea to get in contact with the Prism54 softmac
team and maybe ship a nokia device to them.

--Sebastian

Sean Moss-Pultz schrieb:
> Dear Community,
>
> OpenMoko is built around the philosophy that far more knowledge exists
> outside the walls of a corporation than within. Internally, we're
> struggling with two issues. So we're throwing this out, hoping that some
> of you have can help us move past our current crossroads:
>
>   1) We can't find a WiFi Chipset with GPL'ed drivers -- We know
>   this has been discussed (to death) on this list, but as we're
>   beginning work on the next summer hardware refresh we still can't seem
>   to find a vendor that meets our strict requirements: Namely, we refuse
>   to put anything binary in the kernel.
>
>   Marvell has some nice for larger devices (the 8388). But we need
>   one specifically for mobile phones (like the 8686). If somebody
>   can help us find the right vendor, we'll give you a free Neo1973.
>
>   If you're a vendor and want to work with us to GPL your driver, we'll
>   give you lots of business -- and a free phone ;-)
>

>   2) We don't have enough UI / Application developers -- If anybody
>   meets (or knows somebody who can meet) the following qualifications:
>
>     	* >= 2 years experience with GTK
>     	* object oriented design and implementation w/ GObject
>     	* experience with writing GUI applications from scratch,
>     	* has software quality assets like:
>           o writing maintainable and reusable code
>           o refactoring
>           o design patterns
>           o identifying and extracting common application code
>             into frameworks
>
>   Familiarity with collaborative development tools such as:
>
>     	* bugtracker,
>     	* source control management,
>     	* wiki,
>     	* mailing lists
>
>   is a necessity.
>
>   We've love to talk with you! Please email coreteam at openmoko.org with
>   links to your previous work and a resume if you have one. (The latter
>   is nowhere near as important as the former.)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> -Sean

tarent Gesellschaft für Softwareentwicklung und IT-Beratung mbH

Heilsbachstr. 24, 53123 Bonn    | Poststr. 4-5, 10178 Berlin
fon: +49(228) / 52675-0         | fon: +49(30) / 27594853
fax: +49(228) / 52675-25        | fax: +49(30) / 78709617
durchwahl: +49(228) / 52675-17  | mobil: +49(171) / 7673249

Geschäftsführer:
Boris Esser, Elmar Geese, Thomas Müller-Ackermann
HRB AG Bonn 5168
Ust-ID: DE122264941