Crossroads

Lars Hallberg lah at micropp.se
Wed Mar 14 08:58:35 CET 2007

hank williams skrev:

> On 3/13/07, *Gabriel Ambuehl*
> <gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
> <mailto:gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch>> wrote:
>
>     On Tuesday 13 March 2007 18:49:17 dimitris wrote:
>      > Sean, given the uncertainty surrounding Wifi drivers, would an
>      > externally-accessible SDIO slot be a better step for the next hw
>     revision?
>
>     I would very much welcome a standard SD slot anyhow. SD cards are
>     available in
>     bigger sizes than MicroSD.
>

>  A slot would be great, but I dont think we should be encouraging to
> forget wifi and just let people buy a card. It is important that
> developers be able to assume wifi as a baseline standard.

OpenMoko is a platform for (in the future) many devices... Don't think
You can assume too much anyway. I'm happy with a sd slot (or even, but
less happy, with one more but external micro sd slot).

Supporting binary drivers for third party extensions is a lot less evil
than including stuff that need binary drivers.

... but it depends on if it is realistic to get an external slot into
the phone.

/LaH