Idea: up-to-date business card

Peter A Trotter peter.trotter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 11:57:29 CET 2007

Interesting stuff,

I checked the draft for 1.1 out:

http://openid.net/specs/openid-simple-registration-extension-1_1-01.html

As well as the main authentication specification. Also I signed up to an IdP
and signed up to the OpenID Wiki as a test.

Whilst OpenID is lovely stuff it does not at the moment seem appropriate for
use in the way we intend. Which is pretty much what I expected in the first
place. You have to authenticate every time you go to a site thereby proving
your identity. If this authentication is successful then the IdP sends the
authorised personal information back to the site you are logging into.

So the bit that clashes with what we require is the regular user
interaction.

It would be nice to have an automated extension that allows a request for
updated information from one verifiable OpenID to another.

E.G.

http://monkeyA.com (A)  ---> logs into his OpenID server and allows
http://monkeyB.com (B) to see one of his personas.

B ---> adds A to his contacts. B's Pim application then contacts A's OpenID
server for details

A's OpenID server contacts B's OpenID server requiring B to authenticate.
Now that A's OpenID server has authenticated B it sends A's persona to B's
Pim application.

I'm pretty sure there is no facility for this now. It would need to have
security aspects checked and likely be an extension to the OpenID server.
Initially it seems reasonable that if B can be authenticated and A has
agreed to share a persona...

Do you think this is worth pursuing with the people at OpenID?

-Pete