Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Joe Pfeiffer jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net
Sat Mar 17 16:20:50 CET 2007

Tobias Gruetzmacher writes:

>What I'm proposing is a user-friendly encryption scheme of the data the
>user stores in his phone, so any illegitimate user will not be able to
>get personal data about the owner of the phone.

<snip specifics>

This is something I've been mulling over a bit...  one thing I'd like
to see in this is what I've called a sudo-like interface.  Some
information on the phone is public, some is private (the difference is
that when you stored the private information, you told the phone it
was private).  When you want access to private information, you enter
a passcode of some sort; then, the private information is all
available without further effort for some short period of time.  As
long as you keep accessing new private information, your lease keeps
getting renewed.  When you haven't looked at any for a little while
(the sudo five minutes seems quite reasonable), it becomes
unavailable, and you have to reenter the password to continue.

Ideally, the same public/private interface is used in all
applications.  Maybe a "save private" option added to the
gtkfileselector widget?