Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Mike Sandman mike at thesandmans.com
Sun Mar 18 17:49:19 CET 2007

Jim McDonald wrote:
> Joel Newkirk wrote:
>> I'd like a good gestural interface for authentication - a passphrase or
>> password would be a pain with a mini virtual keyboard, a pincode would
>> remain a pain in many situations, a personalized fingertip doodle would
>> be great.  Present a virtual keypad but allow a finger-drawn character
>> or shape to authenticate.
>>

> Or perhaps some sort of voice recognition, perhaps a user-chosen phrase?

i like this idea.  here's my improvement: pair the normal
password/passphrase with voice data.  just like in my current phone's
address box I can add voice to an entry, a moko user could add "voice"
to their login credentials. on those days when you have a sore throat or
you're in a noisy place, the text password could be tapped in.  but
normally you would press a button, "speak the password, and enter"--LOTR

even more elegant: if the voice credentialing subsystem used PAM (a must
in my book) then the voice_auth PAM module would be a simple config in
pam.d, added as "sufficient" for auth.

thoughts?