Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Joel Newkirk moko at newkirk.us
Mon Mar 19 05:47:23 CET 2007

Knight Walker wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 18:57 +0100, Paul Wouters wrote:

>> I really like the "custom drawn symbol" idea. It introduces a lot of
>> variables. Not only the lines, but also the timestamps on when scribbling
>> it.
>
> Yes, lots of variables, like fuzzy-matching the symbol, because I don't
> know about you, but I don't think I can be pixel-perfect drawing on a
> touchscreen in any reasonable length of time.
>
> -KW

My proposal was simply to have the ability to use my fingertip to trace
a shape to substitute for a 'pin' for unlock purposes.
Left-right-left-circle-down, or up-down-up-down-up-down-right-up, or any
of millions of other possible freehand strokes that can be readily
distinguished.  Or maybe part of one's signature, drawn with a stylus.

When training the system to recognize the 'security stroke' (and the
user to trace it consistently if needed), a meter can be displayed
letting the user know how secure and distinguishably unique the stroke
is.  If they opt simplicity over security, then can just use a
left-right line or something, while security-conscious users might look
spastic unlocking their phones.

But it doesn't depend on pixel-perfect drawing, just a sequence of
relative 'pen' positions or movements or angles or whatever drives the
chosen recognition engine.