"Can OpenMoko Make Coffee?" - SoC Project Proposal

Jonathon Suggs jsuggs at murmp.com
Mon Mar 19 20:04:01 CET 2007

Ben Burdette wrote:

>> I think that the Neo1973 is both a phone and a portable handheld
>> device. Using it as a remote control is one of the things I've
>> personally been interested in this whole thing for. I'd like to think
>> of the OpenMoko device as an extension of myself into the world of
>> electronic devices. My own interface with the world ... until such
>> time as we can get wetware to do brain-computer interfaces, ;).
>> --
>
> Me too.  I want to use the moko to control a media center PC that is
> connected to my stereo, for queuing up audio files and etc.  My PC
> uses a video projector for the monitor and turning on the projector is
> too much trouble just for queuing up audio.  Leaving the projector on
> uses up the bulb life too.  I wonder if one of the linux based media
> center apps like mythTV would work for this?  A custom remote control
> app for the moko would be best, but a web browser interface would be
> fine too.
MythTV can be adapted to just about anything that you can think of.
I'll be the first to say that it is more difficult to get setup
initially (compared to a Windows Media Center), but once you've got it
up and running then you've just begun to scratch the surface of what all
it can do.

MythTV does have a web-interface.  Depending on what all you are wanting
to do, it is possible that what you are wanting is already available,
and the Neo's built-in browser could probably handle all of the
controls.  If not, then both are open-sourced and you could throw
something together to fit your needs.

Hope that helps,
Jonathon