Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Marcel de Jong mdejong at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 22:57:04 CET 2007

>From a user's standpoint:
I do not think I'd like to enter a passphrase or any other measures
just to open up my contacts list (which is after all a piece of
personal data). Also for opening my calendar and such actions on the
device, I'd prefer to have no passphrase.

On my current phone I only enter my pin once. And that is on startup time.
Now I know that that could be a liability, if your phone gets stolen.
But in this case I still prefer convenience over security. My data
isn't that important, not national security, so in my case it wouldn't
make much of a difference.

What I would like is choice whether I want that amount of security or not.
So that people who are dealing with that type of sensitive data can
(and should) opt in.

Incidentally, you can bolt down a phone with regards to data, but that
won't stop someone who is really motivated and willing to do gain
access.

What I do like about a few of the suggestions laid out here, is the
one with the gesture based access control perhaps in combination with
the numerical approach.
You see a keypad like so (or maybe not):
1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9

* 0 #

and your 'password'/'pin' is a gesture based on the numbers.

for instance 4789 would look like:

------

You draw a crude L-shape. And with the spacing between the numbers you
can have all sorts of shapes and drawings that is your password.

---
Marcel de Jong