Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Jonathon Suggs jsuggs at murmp.com
Mon Mar 19 23:36:54 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 22:57 +0100, Marcel de Jong wrote:
> >From a user's standpoint:
> I do not think I'd like to enter a passphrase or any other measures
> just to open up my contacts list (which is after all a piece of
> personal data). Also for opening my calendar and such actions on the
> device, I'd prefer to have no passphrase.
<snip a de doo daa>

I think Marcel is probably stating what *most* people are going to want
as well.  Having the ability to encrypt data is a priority, but not
having to use it should be a higher priority.

One of the biggest mantra's I hear coming from the FOSS camp is "choice"
and so keeping with the whole practice what you preach ideal, I think
the level of encryption should be a user configurable preference.