Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Jim McDonald Jim at mcdee.net
Tue Mar 20 00:55:41 CET 2007

Jonathon Suggs wrote:
> One of the biggest mantra's I hear coming from the FOSS camp is "choice"
> and so keeping with the whole practice what you preach ideal, I think
> the level of encryption should be a user configurable preference.

I'd caveat that with comment that one of the biggest bugbears against
the FOSS camp is "usability" so if this type of thing is going to be
implemented then it should be a single system-wide option that gets
handled away in the backend so that applications don't even need to know
about it and that users don't have to pick and choose (or worse, select
on a per-application basis) what data is encrypted.

Cheers,
Jim.