Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Tim Newsom cephdon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 06:14:16 CET 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:09, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> I like this -- except it doesn't quite match my sample-of-one user
> study.  My degree-of-security-wanted is by data, not by application.
> The same app is used for things like VINs and tire sizes and oil
> filters for cars (no security) and for student presentation grades.
>
> It's also not clear to me that more than two levels of security
> (open/password protected) are needed -- where password protected means
> encrypted using whatever scheme we've got.

See that's where the 'ask me' setting comes in.. If an application can
store encrypted vs not then its an 'ask me' then on a per data basis you
can set it.

The multi level security might not be necessary, but this scheme can
handle it just in case.  The best part is that if you don't want it, you
don't use it.  And those that do want it, can use it and its all
completley transparent to the applications.
--Tim